Signs and symptoms of meth drug addiction
Are you struggling with:
- Strong cravings for meth?
- Using more meth, and more often?
- Withdrawal symptoms such as stomach pain, hunger, headaches, shortness of breath, tiredness, and depression?
- Wanting to quit, detox or cut down, or trying unsuccessfully to quit?
These are some of the common signs of methamphetamine abuse and addiction. And at Renascent, we know how hard it is to quit.
If you need help or someone to talk to about how to quit or stop meth addiction, call us for help. Your road to recovery starts here.
The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) reports that regular use of methamphetamines over a long period of time can lead to amphetamine psychosis. The symptoms of amphetamine psychosis include hallucinations, delusions, paranoia, and bizarre and violent behaviour.
Long-term regular use of methamphetamine can also cause:
- Severe tooth decay (meth mouth);
- The feeling of bugs under your skin, leading to skin-picking and sores;
- Loss of appetite and weight loss;
- Trouble sleeping;
- Increased risk of heart disease, stroke and Parkinson’s disease.
We’ve helped over 50,000 people recover from substance addictions and we can help you too.
Meth addiction treatment centres – how to treat meth addiction
At Renascent, we know that meth addiction is hard to overcome. But we also know that with the best treatment, overcoming meth addiction is possible.
Our comprehensive, person-centred Toronto region addiction treatment programs take place in safe, serene and caring environments inside beautifully restored heritage homes. Our abstinence-based model integrates 12-step facilitation with other best practices in clinical and medical approaches, which are proven to make a difference in long-term sobriety.
Our intensive inpatient meth addiction recovery program (28–35 day stays) provides around-the-clock counselling and support from our team of registered psychotherapists and certified drug addiction specialists, all of whom have lived experience of addiction and long-term recovery.
At Renascent we treat the whole person, because drug addiction affects you on every level. Your care will be based on a meth addiction recovery program designed just for you.
What is methamphetamine?
Meth, or crystal meth, are street names for the drug methamphetamine. Meth is a type of amphetamine drug — a group of powerful stimulants or “uppers” that speed up the body’s central nervous system.
Methamphetamine is a dangerous drug. It’s highly addictive and easy to overdose on. Meth is also a synthetic drug: it’s made in illegal backroom labs with inexpensive and often dangerous ingredients. The chemicals and methods used to make meth vary widely, meaning the strength and safety of meth are often unknown.
Using meth can cause some unpleasant and unwanted effects including racing of the heart, chest pain, dryness of the mouth, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and physical tension. Other negative effects of using meth are paranoid delusions, hallucinations, aggressive behaviour, and impulsive violence.
Once the effects of meth have worn off, users often also feel tired and depressed, leading them to take meth continuously over a period of days or weeks, inviting addiction and overdose. Overdosing on meth can have serious consequences, including heart attack, stroke, and death.
The Renascent meth addiction rehab program addresses your complete individual treatment needs, supporting you through the detox process and giving you the tools you need for lasting healing and recovery.
Why Renascent Addiction Rehab Centres?
Our substance addiction treatment programs address all your complete individual needs, supporting you through the detox process and give you the tools you need for lasting healing and long-term recovery.
- We are a national leader in treating substance use disorders.
- Over 50 years, we’ve helped over 50,000 people.
- We are a not-for-profit treatment centre – our generous donors help offset your costs for high quality, leading treatment programs that work.
- We are fully accredited and use evidence-based clinical best practices.
- Our treatment centres are serene, comfortable, restorative settings.
- Our holistic approach addresses the families, children, loved ones, workplaces, and communities who are also affected by addiction.
- Our staff are professionally certified or licensed and have lived experiences of addiction and long-term recovery.
Overcoming Addiction – Treatment that Works
Our addiction treatment centres offer rehab programs individually and in groups, presented by our team of registered psychotherapists and certified drug addiction specialists, all of whom have lived experience of addiction and long-term recovery.
Renascent’s rehab centres are comfortable, beautifully restored heritage homes, not bleak institutions. You will be surrounded by loving, caring, experienced staff and other people who are also getting help for an addiction and on a journey of recovery – the best possible environment for addiction help and healing.
Specifically, our holistic substance addiction treatment program provides you with:
- Person-centred, accredited, alcohol addiction treatment;
- Serene, caring, addiction treatment centres in beautiful, comfortable heritage homes in the Toronto and Durham region;
- 12-step and other peer-support programs and meetings that work;
- Choice of 28–35 day inpatient rehab programs
- Round-the-clock support;
- Certified addiction treatment specialists – trained doctors, psychologists, therapists, counsellors, and social workers;
- Education on addiction and recovery; and
- Group and one-on-one counselling and therapy.
- Gender-specific and LGBTQ+ friendly rehab programs;
- Comprehensive mental and physical health assessments;
- Mindfulness therapy;
- Art therapy;
- Regular, nutritious, and delicious meals;
- Guidance on developing a healthy sleep schedule; and
- Optional Continuing Care aftercare program for ongoing support and relapse prevention.