One of the best ways you can be of service is to become an Alumni Contact – introducing newly sober clients or family members to 12-step members and meetings in your community.
Our contact program is vital to the success of our alumni. Outcome studies show that alumni who regularly attend 12-step meetings and sponsor others are twice as successful.
During the final week of a client’s rehab program, our counsellors will facilitate contact between you and the client. Wherever possible we try to match women with women and men with men.
As a contact you are free to accept or decline any opportunities presented to you. You don’t need to be a Renascent alumnus yourself to serve as an Alumni Contact.
We want you to get the most out of this opportunity, however it is important to note that the role of a contact does not include being a sponsor, best friend, therapist, or a substitute for a 12-step program.
To become an Alumni Contact, please read the following eligibility and confidentiality requirements.
Renascent Contact Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible for service, an Alumni Contact must:
- Regularly attend 12-step meetings and have a Home Group;
- Take the new Renascent alum to a few meetings and introduce them to other 12-step group members;
- Sign a confidentiality agreement.
In addition, an Alumni Contact working with people in recovery must:
- Have a minimum of three months of continuous sobriety;
- Be available to meet the client within 24 to 48 hours of their return home and/or be available by phone.
Renascent Contact Confidentiality Agreement
- As a volunteer a contact, I will have access to information and material relating to clients, employees, other individuals, or Renascent, which are of a private and confidential nature.
- At all times, I shall respect the privacy and dignity of clients, employees and all associated individuals.
- I shall treat all Renascent administrative, financial, client, employee and other records as confidential material, and I will protect them to ensure full confidentiality. I shall not read records or discuss, divulge or disclose such information unless there is a legitimate purpose as it relates to my duties as an Alumni Contact.
- I shall ensure that confidential information is not inappropriately accessed, used or released either directly by me, or by virtue of my signature or security access to premises or systems.
- I also understand that should any of these conditions be breached, Renascent may withdraw my status as an Alumni Contact.