Careers at Renascent:
Full-time Permanent Position
Application Deadline: October 30, 2023
Renascent is an accredited leader in the addiction treatment field, with a legacy of serving people impacted by substance addiction for over 50 years. As a charitable health care organization, Renascent is committed to the values of compassion, respect, and empathy, as well as evidenced-based approaches and continuous improvement. Renascent addiction treatment programs provide person-centred care within an abstinence-based model, integrating 12 step facilitation with current best practice clinical approaches. Due to the impact of addiction on families, specialized programs and support are also offered for family members, including children. In addition to providing treatment, Renascent actively engages communities through the Renascent Foundation to raise awareness, funds and resources for the treatment and prevention of addiction.
About the position:
The Registered Practical Nurse will be a valued member of the clinical treatment teams at Renascent’s Live-In Addiction Treatment Centres in Toronto, Renascent Madison Avenue Centre, and Renascent Graham Munro Centre. As part of Renascent’s multi-disciplinary team, you will work collaboratively with treatment centre counsellors and managers, and support Medical Directors/Physicians in providing medical care to clients. In this role, you will work closely with the Medical Directors in areas of patient assessment, addiction medicine, primary care, medical case management, referral, psychiatric first aid and record keeping.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- The position includes, but is not limited to the following;
- Work collaboratively with counselling teams and actively liaise with physicians on regular basis, ensuring timely and smooth flow of information, to support client care.
- Support physicians with admission and intake assessments, set-up clients in EMR, and input pertinent health information into client files in Electronic Medical Record.
- Monitor client care, including vital signs when required, entering information into EMR and communicating with physicians.
- Case manage and triage medical needs of clients in treatment. Schedule client appointments and follow-ups with physicians.
- Conduct medication audits and reconcile to client medication records on regular basis. Liaise with physicians and pharmacies for refills/new medication when necessary.
- Monitor client medical conditions such as assisting clients with blood sugar checks and checking vital signs. Provide intramuscular injection and other medical procedures congruent with Registered Practical Nurse training and expertise.
- Recognize and assess active intoxication or withdrawal (i.e. COWS score, CIWA etc.) and disposition appropriately.
- Oversee weekly urine screens/toxicology and discuss with physician.
- Provide health teaching, psychosocial support and education on substance use, mental health.
- Assist physicians with administrative flow and communication with clinical team, pharmacies, medical clinics and hospitals. Assist with obtaining records/consents and sending discharge summaries/lab work in communication with external health providers on behalf of the physician/Centre.
- Schedule client medical intakes and follow-ups, and blood-work for clients at local walk-in clinics.
- Maintain the cleanliness of the medical area for both clients and staff according to infection and safety standards, in addition to ensuring medical supplies are adequately stocked and ordered when required.
- Registration in good standing as a Practical Nurse with the Ontario College of Nurses.
- 3 to 5 years working as a Registered Practical Nurse.
- Experience in psychiatric, mental health or addiction medicine is an asset.
- Experience working with electronic medical records.
- Collaborative team member, contributing to supportive work environment.
- Excellent communication, organizational and prioritization skills.
Submitting an Application:
Interested applicants are invited to apply on or before October 30, 2023. Including a cover letter
in your application package is strongly encouraged.
Contact email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Renascent wishes to thank all individuals who apply for this position, however, only applicants
who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Renascent is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please email us at email@example.com