Safe detox is an important part of your treatment plan — we will help you every step of the way in accessing the medical services necessary to ensure you have a safe withdrawal management plan.
At Renascent, we treat the whole person, because addiction affects us on every level. Your care will be based on a treatment program designed specifically for you. The foundation of our program is 12-step facilitation therapy, which is augmented by a wide range of evidence-based therapies including cognitive behavioural techniques, reality therapy, person-centred therapy, solution-focused therapy, mindfulness principles, and art therapy.
Your road to recovery at Renascent begins with a telephone assessment with one of our admissions counsellors. The goal of the assessment is to confirm that our program is right for you, and to provide you with a date for admission to our program.
Period of Non-Use
By attending treatment at Renascent, you are chosing an abstinence-based approach.
To help you meet your treatment goals and for your safety and the safety of others in treatment, we ask that you abstain from mood altering substances prior to your admission.
Before entering treatment with us, we ask that you be abstinent for three to five days from alcohol, cocaine, cannabis (and all related cannabis products, including medical prescriptions), MDMA, and methamphetamine. For prescription or “street” opiates or benzodiazepines, we ask that you be abstinent for a minimum of eight days before entering our treatment centres.
If you require support to achieve this goal, let us know and we will coordinate care with a withdrawal management centre so that you can safely enter treatment with us after a period of detoxification.
For your safety and the safety of others in treatment, you may be asked to provide a urine screen upon admission.
If you have been prescribed medications for withdrawal, please inform Renascent before your admission.
Here is a list of addictive and/or mood-altering substances and the number of days we ask you to have abstained from them before entering our treatment houses.
All Renascent clients will undergo a medical assessment with Renascent’s Medical Director, Dr. Vera Tarman. Please bring your health card or a valid health card number.
Clients interested in accessing fitness facilities while in treatment are asked to consult with their physician prior to coming to treatment for medical clearance as there may be risk of injury. By participating in outside fitness programs, you agree that you are participating voluntarily and do so at your own risk, and fully agree to release Renascent of liability of any kind.
What to bring:
- Towels and washcloth;
- Toiletries (toothbrush, shampoo, soap, shaving gear, etc.);
- Seasonal outerwear and footwear (you will be going outside to attend meetings);
- Comfortable and appropriate clothing and footwear for indoor use. Casual dress is fine; please refrain from seductive or “sloppy” attire;
- Athletic shoes and clothing if you plan to make use of fitness facilities;
- Your prescription medications (that you have discussed with a Renascent counsellor);
- Funds to cover personal expenses (please bring a minimum of 0 for TTC for Munro and Punanai, and 0 for Sullivan);
- Quarters or phone cards for pay phone use;
- For your safety, all out of town Munro clients must bring a refundable return bus or train ticket home;
- Clients currently on bail are to bring their bail papers.
What not to bring:
- Cell phones, TVs, laptops, iPods, iPads, musical instruments, exercise equipment (clock radios are fine);
- Personal vehicles;
- Addictive and/or mood altering substances – see “The Admissions Process: Abstinence from Substances“
Other helpful information
- Admission time is 9 a.m. for Munro and Punanai, and 9:30 a.m. for Sullivan. Please be on time.
- Here is a list of addictive and/or mood-altering substances and the number of days we ask you to have abstained from them before entering our treatment houses.
- During your stay with us, you are working exclusively on your recovery. For this reason, medical, legal, business, or personal appointments are not permitted while in treatment. Please reschedule all your appointments before entering treatment.
- Because of the known links between physical activity and mental wellness, Renascent clients have full access to local fitness facilities during their stay. Clients attending treatment in downtown Toronto can access the full fitness facilities at the Toronto Central YMCA, including use of the pool. Clients attending treatment at the Paul J. Sullivan Centre will have access to a full fitness studio nearby, including weights and cardio equipment.
- Washers, dryers, and detergent are available on-site to do laundry.
- Pay phones are available during limited times.
- Renascent has programs for your family. Be sure they know to attend Family Information Night on the first Tuesday of every month (7:00 – 8:30 p.m. at 38 Isabella Street). It’s free and no registration is required.
- Visiting hours:
- Graham Munro Centre: Saturdays, 1:30 – 4:30 p.m.
- Punanai Centre: Saturdays, 1:30 – 4:30 p.m.
- Paul J. Sullivan Centre: Saturdays, 1:30 – 4:30 p.m.
Contact us today for a free and confidential consultation with one of our trained counsellors.